Thursday, December 6, 2012

Preparing for the end of 2012.

I really should be better about updating my blog. Right now I'm simply wasting time before walking out the door to go volunteer at the Food Shuttle and I'm kind of already over this day entirely. It is my last day of class for the semester and we have a case study to turn in and as our final we have to complete another group's case study that they created. I'm just prepared to roll my eyes a lot and stare at the clock.

In my absence, there have been some interesting things going on and some not interesting things ( Beverly Hills 90210 marathons, anyone?) But yes, I have been squeezing through this semester of grad school and it isn't pretty. This was by far the worst of the worst semesters. It borders the dreadful semester of '08 where I had the Biochemistry class that I passed on a technicality (she couldn't fail the people that didn't drop the class, which was the majority). I am happy to say that I will be passing this semester but if it's with A's, that is the question.
I took my comprehensive exam in October and passed both the multiple choice and written portion. Yay, go me! However, I never want to relive the stress of the 6 weeks prior to taking the test. It was hell and mostly due to anticipation and wanting to get it over with. But I studied my butt off and it worked out in the end! Plus, my advisor seems to think I am definitely on the path to graduate in May so there are no words to describe how excited I am for that. MAY 11th here I come!!

The next step in this graduate school journey is to start my practicum project , which I decided to get some hours in for that early so I will be officially starting it on Monday. It's scary but I'm sure it will be fine. I feel like I have an understanding advisor and an organized and supportive supervisor at the Shuttle who is quite familiar with the practicum process since  she is a student at Meredith as well. So I feel like I have some great mentors for this project.
However, I will only get a small portion of my hours completed this month because I would like some time to do some Christmas festivities and such. Thomas and I already put up our tree, which is real by the way, and it's a little bare at the moment. We put all the ornaments we currently own on it and I feel it really does represent our life together. As we go on with our lives together we will collect more and more ornaments from places we go and memories we share. Each year our tree will represent more and more memories and eventually our kids will make ornaments too!

I am very excited for this Christmas despite the fact that money is pretty limited and I feel bad asking Thomas to help me out with gifts. I am trying to enjoy spending time with friends and family over thinking about what gifts I will get or give out. Hopefully by this time next year I will have a job so this will not be an issue anymore.

Here are our Christmas pictures for this year, as usual taken by Thomas's talented dad.

Luna looks kind of mad but she's always that way at Tom & Debbie's house because her best friend (their dog, Samson) is there. She doesn't want to take pictures, she wants to play tug-a-war!


I couldn't be more excited for the next 6 months!