Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Exciting News

December 20, 2011 was like any other day until... 

Thomas and I had headed over to my apartment in Raleigh so that he could finish putting together my desk and I could sort through some clothes, clean up a bit and organize my desk. After hours of that, Thomas and I decided to go eat and take a break. We went to Buffalo Brothers and had some good pizza and beer. During dinner I had no idea what was going to happen later at the apartment. At dinner, Thomas and I did discuss getting married and he even asked me if I still wanted to marry him and I of course said yes. We pinky promised and that was that. 
When driving back we had a conversation about where we would want to live once school was over and settling down was an option. Thomas has to see where he will get a job and I told him I was pretty much decided to go and be with him wherever he has to go. I’m living in Raleigh for the next year and a half but after that I plan to live with him. 
 When we got back to the apartment, I was vacuuming and putting away some books and I remember Thomas and Luna were doing something in my room but I didn’t think anything about it.  I had no idea that later when I was grabbing my stuff about to leave the apartment, he would go down on one knee with tears in his eyes ask me to marry him! I took a step back at first and asked if he was serious. He said I’m seriously asking you to marry me. The world just stopped. I was in shock; I couldn’t believe this was finally happening. I didn’t answer at first because I just wanted this moment to last a few more seconds. Looking back now it was such a blur. He already knew my answer but through tears of joy I finally blurted out “Yes!”
 I then noticed that he was holding Luna and he had the ring around her collar. He took her collar off and took the ring and placed it on my left ring finger. More tears and kissing ensued. I was so happy. He looked relieved but very happy.

I then heard the story about how this happened. He bought the ring a month in advance. He had planned to give it to me for Christmas but since I kind of hinted that it was cliché to get engaged on Christmas then he decided to do it before Christmas. Plus this gives me the opportunity to show everyone at get-togethers for the holidays! His family had seen the ring when he bought it and were very good at hiding that something so exciting was in my future this past month when I’d see them. The night before the proposal after he left work he drove to my mom’s house to get her permission to marry me. She was excited and teased him about her permission being the only one he needed. After my mom approved, he then drove to my dad’s house in Lexington, telling my dad that he had something to give him from me. They sat down talking sports until Thomas finally asked him. He said my dad was super excited and gave him permission.
You can tell I've been crying. 

I really can’t believe this is happening. Even the morning after I am just trying to comprehend this is real. Realizations kept popping up afterwards at random times.  In the car I just looked at him and said “Oh my God! You’re my fiancé!!!” Then later on, “Oh my God! I’m going to be a Baker! Lindsey Baker!”  I get to marry the man I have imagined to spend my future with for the past year and a half. I can’t imagine any other person. We were told by his Dad that we were good for each other and that we were fortunate to have found one another. I couldn’t agree more. I am excited about our future together! True we won’t be married until over a year and half from now but school is happening during this time and I need to focus on finishing school and not worrying too much about the wedding just yet.


The ring! Well it is gorgeous. I couldn’t have asked for a better ring. It is a round diamond on top of a square frame of diamonds with a split shank diamond band. It even has two tiny sapphires on the front and back of the ring. It is stunning and he did wellJ. I always liked the combination of diamonds and sapphires. 

So expect new updates on wedding stuff even though it won't be for a while!

***Photos were taken by my future father-in-law Tom Baker, so they belong to him***