Friday, January 20, 2012

Heading fast into the future

Hi! School has started and it's crazy to think that the first 2 weeks are already over. Besides Statistics homework, I really have no assignments due for a while. Like last semester I'm thinking that the hardest portion of the semester will be during midterms and finals.

Of course during this slow period I'm still in wedding mode. The actual booking process is on halt at the moment. Pretty much I'm still in the brainstorming and planning stage. We've figured out a lot of details we want to incorporate into the day but there are some things we can't figure out. Especially the food situation. It's going to be expensive so we are trying to come up with less expensive options that will still leave people feeling full. The last thing I want is for people to go hungry especially if they are going to be there a while. I wouldn't mind having it earlier in the day though, so I'm torn. I just don't think hors d'oeuvres or appetizers will be enough. We are not having an open bar just a few selected beers and wines, so that should save some. I just don't want to put my parents in the poor house just for one day. Plus we are wanting to go to Italy the next year for our honeymoon and I'm pretty sure we will need help with that.

Since we got engaged I feel like I've calmed down a bit since it initially happened. I'm pretty sure of what I want and now it's just the matter of getting it all together and waiting for the summer to get here so we can meet with vendors, book our venue and get things started. I'm so excited for this experience. And we get a whole year and a half to do it!

School has been my main area of concern the past 2 weeks though. Once I get back in the flow of school and classes I always start to feel like I'm not doing enough. As in volunteer work and extra-curriculars. Trust me, the schoolwork is plenty to have one's plate. However, I really struggle in my classes with discussions. That is because discussions are where a lot of my classmates just speak about their experiences in the workplace or in their volunteer places. I have nothing to contribute and this frustrates me. I get frustrated because with my school work I get scared that my schooling will suffer or I won't get into an internship. So much has been going on in my head about the internship. My plan was to apply to the UNCG internship so I could move back to Greensboro. I am just trying to figure out after being married how we are going to be able to afford to live off one person's salary since the internship isn't a paid one. It's a lot to consider. I get scared that if I put it off and work a couple of years, I won't want to go back to complete the internship. Thinking way into the future I also think about how this will affect our decision to start a family. I never thought I would be  thinking about this so soon but when I'm considering 2-3 years of work then a year for the internship. That means 4 years with no possibility of children. It would be too much and we can't afford it. I'm almost feeling like I need to complete the internship after graduating or not at all. It is possible to get a job with a master's degree in nutrition but jobs can be limited if you aren't a RD. So much to consider , I get so overwhelmed. Overall I just want to do what will make me happy.

#1 Marry the man of my dreams. 
#2 Graduate.
#3 Be an RD
#4 Know that I'll never have to be in school again!
#5 Have kids (after being married for a couple of years)

Is this so much to ask?