Monday, July 30, 2012

Reading List 2012

So I am a member of Goodreads, which basically a really good website if you love books, want to keep lists of all the books you've ever read, and would like to read reviews of books. You can form lists of books you want to read or are currently reading and keep everyone updated with how far you are in a book. It's really neat and I love updating my status on a book. It keeps me reading and it's cool because it will give you a percentage of how much you have completed a book. 
 In the beginning of the year I signed up for their 2012 Reading Challenge, where you can set a goal and then it helps you stick to that goal. I chose a goal of 25 books this year.

 I have currently read 12 books so I'm almost halfway done with the challenge. I thought I would share because I love books and reading. I think I've read some really great books and I have some on my To-read list that I'm excited about.

My List:

  1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak   *** 3 stars
  2. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling   **** 4 stars
  3. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson    ***** 5 stars
  4. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon  *** 3 stars
  5. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut    *** 3 stars
  6. Pandora's Seed: Why the Hunter-Gatherer Holds The Key To Our Survival by Spencer Wells  ** 2 stars
  7. The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf  ** 2 stars
  8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett   **** 4 stars
  9. Life of Pi by Yann Martel   **** 4 stars
  10. Divergent by Veronica Roth   *** 3 stars
  11. Insurgent by Veronica Roth   **** 4 stars
  12. The Shack by W. Paul Young   *** 3 stars
  13. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy  ** 2 stars
  14. The Physiology of Taste, or Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin ** 2 stars  (for class)
  15. The Gastronomical Me by M.F.K. Fisher *** 3 stars (for class)
  16. Slow food: Collected Thoughts on Taste, Tradition, and the Honest Pleasures of Food by Carlo Petrini  *** 3 stars  (for class)
  17. Tender at the Bone: Growing up at the Table by Ruth Reichl  ****  4 stars  ( for class)
  18. Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty by Mark Winne   *** 3 stars  (for class)
  19. The End of Food by Paul Roberts  *** 3 stars  (for class)
  20. Everyone Eats: Understanding Food and Culture by E.N. Anderson  ** 2 stars  (for class)
  21. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling ** 2 stars
  22. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins  **** 4 stars
  23. The Passage by Justin Cronin (currently reading) Probably will make the 2013 list.
Haven't decided what is next after those last couple but I'm sure I'll be able to make up my mind when that time comes. :)  Happy reading!

Edit: I decided to count the books I had to read for class because I had a ton of reading to do. Our professors made us read entire books which prevented me from reading other books so these made the list. So I ALMOST met my goal!

Ending Result: 22/ 25 books. Not bad. I blame COMPs and school for not reaching my goal!