Saturday, October 26, 2013

6 months later....

Time to update my blog. It's been a while, I know. I have been a very busy bee lately. Or at least the last 6 months. Things are not getting any less busy but I want to attempt (for the 100th time) to blog during it because I would like some sort of documentation of the things that have and will be going on in this next year. 

So my last post was in April and I was posting love songs up until my wedding day. Well that didn't work out but I did get married in June. It was amazing! I was stressed, excited, and so happy in June. 

First things first though. In May I GRADUATED!!

 I have my Master's now in Nutrition! All my hard work paid off and I graduated with a 3.7 GPA. I am still so happy that I went ahead and got my Master's because now the only thing standing in my way from a) becoming a RD and b) being done with school completely is my dietetic internship. 

Once the graduation festivities were over I was heading to Washington DC for Share Our Strength's Conference of Leaders in early June, where one day was committed to Cooking Matters and two days were dedicated to the No Kid Hungry campaign. It was so interesting and I was so lucky and appreciative for the opportunity to go. 
Jefferson Memorial

Made it to a Baltimore Orioles game while I was there too!
Once I returned from DC it was wedding preparation full force! But honestly it wasn't too bad. I had gotten so much done beforehand (thanks year and a half engagement) I didn't have too much to prepare for. I just wanted it to be here! Needless to say it was a perfect day. Well the night before was pretty great too. Lots of tears, laughs, and smiles both days. 
I am now Mrs. Baker! :)


One of the best days of my life. *sigh* Plus, it was such a relief to finally enjoy the day that you spent a year and a half planning for. My wedding day and experience was perfect I wouldn't change a thing.
Then came the other fun part of the wedding experience... THE HONEYMOON!
We went to Asheville and it was fantastic. We had great weather and toured downtown and Biltmore. 

One day we randomly decided to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and see where it would take us... that might have been the best thing we did.




Amazing trip but way too short. We only stayed for 3 days and I was not ready to come back to real life and start looking for a job /post-wedding life.

Once the wedding was over, I was in full job search mode.  And I have to admit it was a little bit of a daunting task. I actually scored an interview with a food bank similar to the one I was volunteering at in Raleigh. That, however, did not work out but it was great experience as far as interviewing goes. After that, I was in a desperate search to find something that would give me an opportunity to use the nutritional knowledge I have gained after 7 years of schooling. Unfortunately, WIC jobs were hard to find and the only things I could find were things like "nutrition ambassadors" "patient nutrition representative" which are just fancy job names for diet clerks or hosting in a hospital. 
Honestly, at first I was feeling  a little selfish and thinking since I have a master's degree I shouldn't have to settle for working at these entry level positions. Eventually I stopped thinking this way because first off I remember a girl (I won't use names) but this girl who used to work at Barnes & Noble with me, once refused to take out the trash in the cafe because she had a master's degree in music performance and "she shouldn't have to". I remember thinking of how awful that made everyone feel because she thought she was better than us just because she had a master's degree. Needless to say she didn't work there very long after that (she was fired) and I can't help but think about that and how that made me feel when she said that. Just for the record I am not afraid to take out trash, wash dishes by hand, or handle nasty gunk because of my barista job. Thanks Barnes & Noble!


So I decided to apply for any position I thought could give me some good experience. One position was called a "nutrition clerk" and it was a full time position at a local hospital only 5 minutes down the road from our townhouse. It sounded very promising. As it turned out they were the only ones to call me in for an interview. Guess it was meant to be!
I started my new job as "Nutrition Clerk" or "Diet Clerk" as it's really called at the end of August. It's going well so far. As a dietetic hopeful, I was very concerned where I was going to get my clinical experience and now everyday I am learning about specific diets, tube feeding formulas, diabetic exchanges, plus just the experience of working with the dietitians and nurses is great! I see patients every now and again, as well. I am so grateful for this job even if some days I feel overwhelmed by the busyness of the hospital. Even though some people ask me why I am there, I tell them that this is a stepping stone to bigger and better things for me. However, for the time being I am fine working and learning all that I can.

Also, I am currently studying for the DTR exam. I'm scheduled to take it in 4 days. DTR stands for Dietetic Technician, Registered. There are not a lot of DTR positions left in North Carolina but I was advised by one of my professors from Meredith to take it to increase my competitiveness for the upcoming DI application process.  The reason being that the DTR exam is similar to the RD exam so if I could pass this exam, it shows directors that I have potential to pass the RD exam. 

It's crazy to think of how far I have come from changing my major to nutrition in 2008 and now having two degrees in nutrition, and how I am currently working as a diet clerk until I can finally finish my goal of being a RD once I get into an internship. There's really no other option for me. I want and need to be a RD. There's nothing else I want or would rather be. I am so close to my goal and only have a couple more months to find out where the future will take me. 
I can do this.