Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I Passed!!

Today I feel fantastic since I took the DTR exam this morning and passed it!!! Woo Hoo!!


I went into the exam this morning calm, cool, and collected. I was halfway drowsy from the early morning and I didn't have any coffee, which is dangerous territory for me. I was a little afraid it would upset my stomach so I decided against it. I have to say that the only thing that made me nervous was actually finding the place, and then my gas light came on which was a bit nerve wracking when your going to a place you've never been before. Once I got there I went inside and sat down waiting for my turn to get checked in. It is crazy the things that go through your head while you're waiting. "OMG was I supposed to bring two I.D.s or one?" "People are bringing their own calculators, was I supposed to bring one??"  Everything worked out though. 
110 questions later and I was done. I think it took me about an hour and a half. 

Oh man, when I had to wait for the proctor to find my results page that was when the nerves really kicked in. Then she just turned to me and said "Congratulations!!" and I was so relieved!
 I am so happy that all the studying I did the past 2 months was finally worth it. I now  have this certification which will hopefully aid in my getting accepted into a DI.


Now that its over, here are some of my thoughts on the exam:
1) When researching on the internet (linkedIn, and blogs mostly) everyone emphasizes the importance of food service equations. So I studied the heck out of some food cost percentages, minutes/meal, and FTEs. I was so worried that this would be the worst part about the exam. I maybe had 3 or 4 food service math equation questions and thats it. So out of 110 questions that was not main focus of my exam but for others it may have been.

2) I focused on nutrition care a lot. Maybe because that is what interests me the most out of nutrition but I really didn't have a lot of questions on this either. That may change if I get to take the RD exam in the future.

3) The majority of my questions for exam were focused on management. This was to be expected but I feel like in my studying I had a hard time finding questions that I could really practice my application of management skills too. Plus I have no management experience so its kind of hard to really know what to do in management situations. If I had to go back and take the exam I would focus more on this. 

4) The LinkedIn DTR group was right about the test being mainly about management and food service. This group helped me out so much and I was able to get a good idea of what to expect for today's exam. The exam is never the same for everybody depending on how well you answer questions of a certain domain so maybe I knew my equations really well and thats why I didn't have many? I don't know.

For anyone planning to take this exam, it is still important to study everything because there will be random questions that pop up!

So what's next?
For right now, I am relaxing and catching up on some tv (Revenge, Teen mom (don't judge)). And I'm going to start reading 




I can have a life now!