Monday, March 7, 2011

Humble Beginnings

Hello! This would be my first post and I am super excited to finally be writing this. I have pages up top that give a description about me and a little of what I'm about. Basically I am going to be updating this blog to show what happens in the life of ME. Lindsey, nice to meet ya! I'm just a simple college student trying to live the healthiest that I can. You'll see the struggle that is being a college student. It doesn't make a healthy lifestyle easy but you have to make it happen. And that's what I'm going to try to do. There may be posts about more than just food and exercise. It could be about music, movies, daily happenings, trips, etc. Just whatever I feel deserves to be posted will be :) And of course they will come with many pictures.

So to begin, school is out for Spring Break, so do you know what that means? Sleeping in, reading books I CARE to read and having time to plan meals and workout when I please. Love it!
However, this morning I slept in a bit too late so by the time I had to run some errands (bank, Earthfare, etc.) this was all I could grab to eat.
I love Clif Bars don't get me wrong. But they aren't my ideal breakfast/lunch. However, I was good to go.

It may be spring break but the gym is still open and I started out walking 2 miles then went into the weight room to continue this semester's routine of strength training every Monday and Wednesday. 
My workout today consisted of:
  • One-arm machine rows 2 sets (of 12)
  • Overhead machine press 2 sets
  • Leg extension 2 sets
  • Front lateral pull downs 2 sets
  • 100 crunches
  • Seated flys 2 sets
  • Seated one-arm shoulder press 2 sets
  • Triceps press 2 sets
After that I planned to make vegetable enchiladas for dinner so I needed to stop by Earthfare and the Farmer's Market . 
May not look like much from the outside but there is a whole lot of goodness inside! Like these...


First on the agenda, I went home to my mom's house to bake a cake. I promised Thomas' (my boyfriend) dad that I would fix him what I fixed Thomas on Valentine's day, a delicious blueberry pound cake from The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. My first attempt at this cake was a success. It was so good!
This time not so much...it actually makes me a little sad just reliving how much effort I put into this cake.

I was so excited because I was going to use this locally made butter that I found at Earthfare .


And I had all my ingredients ready


Here is what it looked like before baking



then I was a little hungry so I had a small salad while waiting for the cake to bake.



I even had me some cake batter. I am a sucker for some batter of any sort.


Then the disaster occurred!


I even tasted it to see if it was just ugly but tasted good. It was oily and too buttery and just ugh. I have made this recipe and it can make a delicious dessert. That apparently wasn't in the cards for today.

Just a fair warning: There will be more blunders in the future. They are bound to happen. Especially since I am learning and experimenting with cooking.

Well the good thing about going home was to see my mom. Here we are.





And our lhasa apso Sam was also excited we were home.


After that disaster I decided that I would make up for it with making an awesome dinner.
This is a recipe I gathered from Bankrupt Vegan . It really goes along with National Nutrition Month because of all the wonderful colorful veggies that are in it. You will see.
Black beans, diced tomatoes, onion,, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, organic frozen yellow corn with lime and cilantro

Mostly greens and yellows from the squash and onion and there is some garlic in there.


Then let's add some reds! Tomatoes and Bell Pepper!
 

Throw some black beans and spices and here's the final result! Soo good!


Thomas however has to eat more than just vegetables. He's not a vegetarian like me. So he cooks up some steak separately.


Add some Wholly Guacamole



Dinner is served!



Thomas approves!

Tomorrow's agenda? Work and reading this...

No comments:

Post a Comment