Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Wrestler + Raleigh + Trivia Nights

Hello :)
So I thought I would begin this post with my thoughts on the movie The Wrestler .
Source   
I said in my last post. Thomas and I were going to watch a movie and we were trying to decide if we would watch one his all-time favorites The Wrestler or my suggestion, Black Swan . Thomas' argument was that I needed to see his movie first because they are both by the same director,  Darren Aronofsky. So I agreed and honestly really had no desire to see it if it was based on a professional wrestler. I remember the Oscars 2 years ago when it was nominated for a ton of awards. I never thought I would like it. Well, I was wrong. It really is a great movie and very touching. It makes you think about the choices we make in life and the effect it can have on our life and the relationships we have with loved ones. Wrestling fan or not I think anyone can enjoy this movie. So GO SEE IT if you haven't already.

We went to Raleigh the next day. I looked at a couple of apartments but decided that I would just look but not talk to any leasing people about renting until later. We didn't have that much time if we were going to go to a museum and also I think I need to wait until their availability is more close to what it will be in August (when I want to move). Raleigh is a pretty cool place though. I'm very excited to be moving there and very excited about my program I'll be starting. I will just feel so much better when I know where I'll be moving.

So after that we drove around a bit and Thomas showed me the house he lived in when he lived there. During the drive we had these to keep our hunger at bay until we could eat dinner.

It has a lot of sugar added but it's still pretty tasty. My favorite is the papaya!

Downtown Raleigh            
Then we headed on over to the NC Museum of History!


Thomas caught me taking pictures

Inside they had a lot of exhibits which were all very interesting. My only problem with the museum was that they didn't have any general NC history exhibit open. They are currently working on an exhibit that follows the complete history of our state but I wasn't sure when it would be open. Without that the museum seemed a bit bare :/
We first looked at the Dale Earnhardt car


Then we were Blackbeard for a few seconds


 Then we finally went and saw some of the exhibits such as Child Labor in NC


& Sports Hall of Fame (which was my favorite)


& A Call to Arms

I thought all the old drugs were cool to look at. Compare today's Pepto Bismol to this

 But I guess Vaseline hasn't changed


In front of the ole Druggist Office


& the Thomas Day exhibit (Thomas blocked Day haha)


I thought these quotes by Thomas Day were neat




Then we were spinning this wheel


I wasn't as enthusiastic

My Photographer
One last picture before we go
 We then walked outside to look at the Capitol building. 
THERE'S the enthusiasm!
 Once we got back to our car. We were exhausted and HUNGRY. We had to stop at a small gas station in the most inconvenient spot in Raleigh I believe because Thomas wanted something to drink. What did he find? Well Cherry Lemon Sundrop. Now I'm not a big Soda person at all. And I had never heard of this before in my life but apparently it's really good and very hard to find nowadays. So he stocked up on it. Look how happy he is.
 We decided to go to one of our favorite places, Crazy Fire Mongolian Grill  
So here you can choose what goes in your dish. The choices are Meats, Vegetables then Sauces (behind the tree)
So for my plate I chose broccoli, zucchini, carrots, onions, mushrooms, a little bit of tofu and then had teriyaki and carribbean jerk sauce over it. Served with a little bit of rotini pasta and white rice ( even though I wish they had brown but it's better than fried)
I thought it had a bit of color ;)

 It was a full day already but as is tradition with every Wednesday we go downtown to The Green Burro for some Trivia that most nights our friend Michael hosts. But tonight he was instead playing with us. We didn't win but got in 3rd place so not bad.
Michael and Thomas
Donnie and Wes

And let's not forget dessert... A Chocolate Roulade from Fresh Market. I get that chocolate craving every once a while ALL THE TIME.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment